December is here and it is the time to start thinking and planning the activities that your council will be nominating for the State Awards at the Indiana Convention in April. There are many awards to be considering but let me draw your attention to one award in particular the Father McGivney Vocation Award. This is the award that recognizes the best vocation activity. What was your council’s vocation activity?
Every vocation activity shows that the council is supporting the seminarians. If your council has held a vocation activity this fraternal year, please take the time to do the paperwork to nominate the activity for the Fr. McGivney Vocation Award. Here is a suggestion; when nominating an activity include as much information as possible in the write-up, photos, newspaper clips or posters and pamphlets. The more information provided may help the project to be selected.
The form for the Fr. McGivney Vocation Award can be found by clicking on this link: http://indianakofc.org/download/forms/IN-FMV1.pdf
Please note: DEADLINE is February 28, 2018.
SOS - Last month I told you about the seminarians receiving their checks for $525. You need to read some of the “Thank You” notes we have received. Here are a couple of examples:
- Dear Knights…."I don't believe a simple card can express my true gratitude for the support I receive from the Knights of Columbus. Your financial assistance greatly eases my mind when I begin to wonder how I'll pay for even the most basic things like food, gas and clothing. However, not to downplay the monetary gift, I believe what is the far more valuable gift I receive is all of our prayers for me - I believe that or I cannot call myself a Christian. And so I ask you to continue to pray for me and other seminarians, because sometimes I feel as though I am on the front lines of the spiritual battlefield. My sincere thanks." Robert Ross
- Brother Knights….”The St. John Vianney Seminary Rector called us seminarians to accept the call to be God’s right hand, but to remember that every hand needs an arm. How true it is! And what better arm to have than the “Strong Right Arm of the Church,” the Knights of Columbus. Thank you for your continued prayers and support. Know that I pray for all of you daily. God Bless!” Will Beardmore.
This is just a sampling of the Thank You notes received. Can we get a 100% participation of the Councils this fraternal year in the SOS campaign?
Remember: SUPPORT OUR SEMINARIANS!
The seminarians continually need our help. There many ways to support them: spiritually, monetarily and with communication. Birthday cards, Christmas cards or just send notes of encouragement, these mean so much to the seminarians knowing that someone cares about them or is interested in them. If the occasion arises, invite them to the council for a social event. It gives the seminarians a chance to put faces with names.
Important Dates to remember:
- World Day for Consecrated Life (February 4, 2018)
- World Day of Prayer for Vocations (April 22, 2018)
- Dec. 1, 2017 – Reminder for Financial Secretaries: include the S.O.S. inserts with your billing for 2018.
- Feb. 28, 2018 – Deadline for Father McGivney State Vocation Award.
- April 20-22, 2018 – Indiana State Convention. This is the best time for Councils to turn in S.O.S. funds.
- May 5, 2018 – Race For Vocations.
- June 15, 2018 – Deadline to turn in all S.O.S. funds and forms to State Treasurer.
RACE FOR VOCATIONS
The Knights of Columbus Indiana State Council asks all Councils to participate and support the “RACE FOR VOCATIONS”. The Race For Vocation welcomes people of all ages to run/walk in the Mini Marathon or 5k to promote and pray for vocations. Race Date is May 5, 2018. More information available at http://raceforvocations.org/ Councils are encouraged to help by adding a Race For Vocations donation to your SOS contribution (use IN_SOS Form). Please submit this donation to the IN KofC State Treasurer by December 1, 2017. Please include check with the IN-SOS form marked “Race For Vocations”.
- Involve young men, women, and families(Fraternity); over 300 runners in 2017
- Raise money for S.O.S. (charity)
- Support seminarians (RSVP)
- Promote cooperation between Indiana Dioceses (Unity)
- Make the Knights of Columbus visible at a very large public event; over 30,000 runners in 2017
Below are the dates for the upcoming Race for Vocations training events at Bishop Brute. All events will use the following timeline: Mass at 7:30; Run/Walk at 8:00; and Spiritual Reflection at 9:00.
Monthly training events are scheduled for December 2, 2017; January 13, 2018; February 10, 2018; March 10, 2018; April 7, 2018.
State Vocations Chairman
Indiana Knights of Columbus