State Life Director
Merry Christmas! I hope and pray that you and your family enjoy the Christmas season and have a blessed 2022.
Please pray for the Supreme Court case, Dobbs v. Jackson as the decision could overturn Roe v. Wade, which has already seen over 64 million babies aborted.
Life is one of four categories in the Faith in Action Program. The other three are Family, Faith and Community. Supreme has provided several recommended programs in each of the four categories. The Life recommended programs are:
March for Life
Pregnancy Center Support
Christian Refugee Relief
Mass for People with Special Needs
Novena for Life
March for Life, Ultrasound Program, Pregnancy Center Support and Special Olympics are featured programs and count as two activities. The following are some upcoming Life programs and/or goals that many Indiana councils are currently doing or have done:
1) A Life goal for the fraternal year is for each council to support a Pregnancy Resource Center. The Women who are facing crisis pregnancies need our help, and supporting/being connected to a resource center in your area would be a difference maker.
2) Silver Rose Program…Indiana will host the Silver Rose from May 1st to May 28th. Please check out Supremes info on the Silver Rose at www.kofc.org/silverose. Contact Larry at life @indianakofc.org, if your council would like to host the Silver Rose by January 15th. We currently have 16 councils signed up and days are limited, so first come first serve.
3) Ultrasound initiative – in the last few months we have awarded or paid for eight units, and now we have requests from several pregnancy resource centers in need of an ultrasound machine. If each council member could contribute $5, we could raise the monies to meet the demands for the next year… or if each council raises $500 from its members we could meet those requests. Please remember that statistics show that 90% of women in a crisis pregnancy, who see their ultrasound, will keep their baby.
4) Offer up your council Rosary monthly or quarterly for Life. And consider a Novena for Life in your council, your parish in January during the anniversary of Roe v Wade, and the March for Life. The USCCB Novena begins January 21st https://www.usccb.org/prolife/join-9-days-life.
5) Encourage your council members to become sidewalk counselors/be on the front line to help women make the right choice/consider other options instead of the abortion clinic or Planned Parenthood.
6) Invite the local Special Olympics representative to speak at a social night.
7) As a council, attend right to life events/dinners a supporting the organizations who are the front line and lobbying legislators for Life.
8) Host a movie night for the council/parish with movies such as Unplanned, Bella, Roe v. Wade or October Baby. Have pizza, popcorn, cookies and lemonade with a free will offering, with proceeds to Life organizations.
9) Organize Christmas caroling with Knights families, to sign at assisted living or nursing homes.
10) Biking for Babies…in case you didn’t get a chance to support or sponsor our Bikers a few of weeks ago, it’s not too late…your council should use the ultrasound form located on the state web site and send funds directly to State Treasurer, payable to Indiana Knights of Columbus with memo line Biking for Babies...address is 5558 Bruce Avenue, Portage, IN 46368…be sure to send a copy to our Culture of Life Director, Michael Velasco.
11)Special Olympics…one of our featured programs and our goal is for each council to have an Ambassador (include on form IN-FORM1) and raise at least $2,000 and provide 200 man hours…the Polar Plunge and Tootsie Rolls are both life initiatives that can help each council meet their goal.
12)40 Days for Life begins again on Ash Wednesday, 2022. Have your council pray at the 40 Days for Life site for an hour, two hours or take an overnight shift. Since 40 days for life began in 2007, 18,816 lives have been saved; 110 abortion centers have been closed and 221 abortion workers have quit. 40 days for Life and in 63 countries and 1,000 cities. And many saves were not recorded plus thousands of hearts changed.
Check for complete details on each Faith in Action program and the Faith in Action initiative at https://kofc.org/uns/en/programs/index.html. Keep in mind these are recommended programs, but other Life based programs such as those listed above (some you have developed in your council) also qualify as part of the required four activities for this category.
One final comment/suggestion: PRAY and COMMUNICATE…as a leader, begin everything with prayer and communicate often. We have some wonderful initiatives and want to be sure all brother Knights are aware so they/the council can receive the blessings of these programs.