State Life Director
As the Lenten season continues, we have many Life activities that we as Knights can do to make a difference in protecting and defending God’s greatest gift-Life! Some upcoming events/initiatives:
1) Silver Rose Program…Indiana will host the Silver Rose during the months of May and June. Please check out Supreme’s info on the Silver Rose at www.kofc.org/life and information click HERE... The Silver Rose enters northern Indiana on May 3rd and exits southern Indiana on June 20th…all Districts/Council can host it…contact me by no later than April 11th…
2) Race for Vocations: one of our most important Indiana programs is Race for Vocations. The opportunity to support all Vocations –Priesthood, Marriage Life, Single Consecrated Life and Religious Life have never been more important. Race for Vocations is a way your council can express their support. Please consider promoting the event in your council and parish, volunteering to help with the many activities, attending the Race for Vocations Mass (Friday, May 7th) and providing financial support to help defray costs. The Saturday morning (May 8th) run will be in Greenfield, Pennsy trail. Click HERE for a flyer and information how you and your council support all Vocations.
Some examples of life activities your council may consider are:
1) 40 Days for Life – The spring campaign just completed and a fall camping will be in September (date tbd). Consider having your council pray at the 40 Days for Life site for an hour, two hours or take an overnight shift.
(Central Indiana Knights joined to did an overnight vigil on Friday, March 19th, the Feast of St Joseph!)
2) Ultrasound initiative – in the last few months we have awarded or paid for eight units, and now we requests from several pregnancy resource centers in need of an ultrasound machine. If we each council could raise $500 from its members we could meet those requests. Please remember statistics show that 90% of woman in a crisis pregnancy who see their ultrasound, will keep their baby.
3) Sponsor a Knights “Freezing for a Reason” Polar Plunge team. Special Olympics needs our support and the Plunge can provided that support plus is a lot of fun.
4) Celebrate the YES of the Annunciation and Day of the Unborn Child on March 25th…offering a Mass on that day for the unborn children; Rosary for the unborn and prayer service. Please check with your Council Chaplain for ideas.
5) Offer up your council Rosary monthly or quarterly for Life.
6) Pray for life from conception from natural death: the unborn, oppressed, elderly and those who may be subject to the death penalty.
7) Encourage your council members to become sidewalk counselors/be on the front line to help women make the right choice/consider other options instead of the abortion clinic or Planned Parenthood.
8) Invite the local Special Olympics representative to speak at a social night.
9) As a council, attend right to life events/dinners a supporting the organizations who are the front line and lobbying legislators for Life.
10) Host a movie night for the council/parish with movies such as Unplanned, Bella or October Baby. Have pizza, popcorn, cookies and lemonade with a free will offering, with proceeds to Life organizations.
The Supreme recommended Faith in Action programs in the Life category and they are:
March for Life
Christian Refugee Relief
Mass for People with Special Needs
Pregnancy Center Support
Novena for Life
Check for complete details on each Faith in Action program and the Faith in Action initiative at https://kofc.org/uns/en/programs/index.html . Keep in mind these are recommended programs, but other Life based programs such as those listed above (some you have developed in your council) also qualify as part of the required four activities for this category.
Also, please begin sending your activities today online at http://www.indianakofc.org and click on Forms.
One final comment/suggestion: PRAY and COMMUNICATE…as a leader, begin everything with prayer and communicate often. We have some wonderful initiatives and want to be sure all brother Knights are aware so they/the council can receive the blessings of these programs.
Vivat Jesus and God bless you!
State Life Director
Indiana Knights of Columbus