Gil Spisak – Indiana State Program Director
Four Pillars, One Mission… The INDIANA KNIGHTS!!!
Welcome to the GREAT New Year of 2018. I hope all Knights and their families had a very Merry CHRISTmas and I would like to wish you and your family a healthy and prosperous Happy New Year.
Councils should be meeting with their District Deputies at a special meeting this month, to receive the updates from the Mid-Year meeting and what is needed for the council to complete the year.
Congratulations to our State’s Disaster Response Team being recognized in the December issue of Columbia magazine on page 33 - https://indianakofc.org/download/secondresponse/IN_Disaster_Relief_KIA2017.pdf for their work with Hurricane Harvey in south Texas. GREAT JOB by Bill McDonald and his team of helpers!
STATE CONVENTION Forms and info at http://www.indianakofc.org/in-state-convention
IMPORTANT!!! ANNUAL SURVEY of FRATERNAL ACTIVITY (Supreme Form #1728) – Due by 1/31/2018
* Council members can help their officers, by completing their info and giving to your council officers with form #1728A - http://www.kofc.org/un/en/forms/council/individual_survey1728a_p.pdf the council’s Survey of Fraternal Activity Individual Member Worksheet (Form #1728A) - can help the council, with each members input of functions, hours, and donations.
A reminder to get your forms completed for the year. The winter season is a good time to catch up on any forms that your council is behind in; the forms will still be accepted for the information. It is the Grand Knights duty and responsibility to make sure that the council forms that are due to Supreme and the State are completed and submitted on time. The Grand Knight does not need to be the submitter, but should have someone in the council with computer access submit the forms and the Grand Knight just needs to follow up to make sure the forms are submitted on time. So, council members need to step up and assist the Grand Knight, since we are all in this together.
NOTE: The Gibault Envoy and Special Olympics Envoy forms for your council will NOT be accepted after February, since these are used to get the info to the council throughout the year.
Please make sure to complete and submit those forms that are due by your council.
REMEMBER - All forms need to be submitted online or sent by e-mail in PDF format in order to be credited (except those sent with a check), and make sure to copy (with PDF attachment) in an e-mail all those required at the bottom of the form.
NOTE: Page 13 in the 2017-18 State Program Guide has a Worksheet with ALL the Supreme and State Forms and their due dates. The “Due Date” is the last day for the form to be accepted. The District Deputy will be following up regarding the forms for the councils in his district, so help him out by submitting the forms BEFORE the due date!
State Forms – can be found at https://www.indianakofc.org/forms
Supreme Forms – can be found at http://www.kofc.org/un/en/members/resources/forms/council.html
Keep up to date by checking out the monthly activity tracker for your council’s status on the State Website - http://www.indianakofc.org/programs/program-director/activity-tracking and please contact the appropriate state director if you have any questions on the numbers for your council.
FREE THROW CONTEST
- Each council should be running their Free Throw Contest in January.
- The District Level contests will be held in early February.
- The Regional Level contests will be held in late February.
- The State Finals will be in early March.
CONTESTS and AWARDS
IMPORTANT - Many of the contests have NOT had a submission, so please complete and submit an entry for the below contests, since there is a good chance in winning.
We need your contests forms for the below BEFORE February 28, 2018 – LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, since they will be judged and winners decided in early March!
Contests (Entry Forms Due to the State Director of the category BEFORE FEBRUARY 28th!):
- State Service Program Award - Form STSP http://www.kofc.org/un/en/forms/council/state_serviceaward_p.pdf (Enter for each/any of the 6 programs: Church, Council, Community, Culture-of-Life, Family, and Youth) – the form is available at the Supreme forms website - we need entries, so submit them NOW, this is a separate entry from the State Activity Form filing. See Page 40 in the State Program Guide. Info at http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/council-activities/service-program-awards.html or in the Supreme guide at https://www.kofc.org/un/en/forms/programming/state-service-award10176.pdf
- Fr. McGivney State Vocations Award – Page 40 in the State Program Guide and the Entry Form IN-FMV1 on page 52 in the State Program Guide - http://www.indianakofc.org/programs/program-director/program-guide
- Outstanding Catholic Layperson Award – Page 40 in the State Program Guide and the Entry Form (IN-OCL1) on page 53.
- Outstanding Catholic YOUTH Award – Page 41 in the State Program Guide and the Entry Form (IN-OCY1) on pages 54 &55. The winner receives a $1,500 scholarship check and the winner & their family attend the awards luncheon at the State Convention for the presentation of the check and winner plaque.
- Family of the Year – Page 40 in State Program Guide – Form is available at Supreme forms webpage https://www.kofc.org/un/en/forms/council/family_year1993_p.pdf and must be submitted to the State Family Director by February 28, 2017.
YOUTH State Winners for the below contests are forwarded to Supreme for the International Awards:
- Substance Abuse Poster contest – State awards a $50 check presented to each 1st place State winner by their DD or GK. Information can be found at http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/youth-activities/substance-abuse-awareness.html. Note that the timeline for our State has the district winners to the State Youth Director, Chris Earnhart, by February 28th.
- Essay Contest – State awards a $50 check, presented to the 1st place State winner by their DD or GK. Information can be found at http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/youth-activities/essay-contest.html. Note that the timeline for our State has the district winners to the State Youth Director, Chris Earnhart, by February 28th.
For the details on these programs, please see the sections in this newsletter and on the State website.
Please contact the state director associated with the program category if you need further info or assistance.
PROGRAMMING ITEMS of Upcoming Events:
SOI Partnership summit – January 20, 2018 from 10am to noon in Carmel, IN at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church – info in flyer at website:https://www.indianakofc.org/download/specialolympics/2018_SOI_Partnership_Summit.pdf
The Keep Christ in Christmas Posters –District winners need to be submitted to the State Church Director, Mark Michuda, BEFORE January 15, 2018. Make sure the completed entry form is attached to each poster with the council # on it.
Help Needed - Don’t forget to help others at this time of year by giving Blood and Platelets. Please see the Community Newsletter for information.
Gibault Annual Golf Scramble – Thursday, May 10, 2018 at Terre Haute Country Club, so mark your calendar.
EVERY COUNCIL MUST include and work on Supreme’s “Building the Domestic Church” program in their council’s activities. What kind of council wouldn’t be working on strengthening their church activities with this program? http://www.kofc.org/un/en/domestic-church/index.html
Have YOU earned your training medallion / coins?
Supreme Fraternal Training Portal Micro-site for Council officers and members - https//goo.gl/fFrac9
Also, every council officer and ANY interested member should be involved in the Supreme webinars - http://www.kofc.org/en/members/resources/membership-webinar.html
It’s easy to sign-up and register for each webinar, and if you miss it, they are recorded for you to view at your convenience!!!
GIBAULT RAFFLE TICKETS
STATE PROGRAM GUIDE:
The State Program Guide (http://www.indianakofc.org/programs/program-director/program-guide) has the answers to 9 out of 10 questions that we are asked, so it should be your 1st GO TO REFERENCE RESOURCE, when you have a question and need information about a program. Page 13 in the guide is a good source regarding the Supreme and State forms and when they are DUE. Please contact your District Deputy if you need help or have any questions. There is now a quick-link to the State Program Guide on the right side of the State’s main webpage (www.indianakofc.org).
IMPROVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE of your FAITH!
The Knights of Columbus – Catholic Information Services (CIS) website has many resources for you to improve your knowledge throughout the year - http://www.kofc.org/en/cis/
The Catechism of the Catholic Church information can be found at http://www.kofc.org/en/catechism/index.html.
It is very important that you and your council officers frequently check the State (http://www.indianakofc.org/) and Supreme (http://www.kofc.org/un/en/index.html) websites for current events and information.
NOTE: When sending regular informational e-mails to your council members, DO NOT include any of the State’s e-mail addresses in your regular council informational/business e-mails that you are sending to your council members. The State e-mail addresses are ONLY to be used to conduct business with the State.
Use the following link at our state website to submit all your council activities online (Soon after occurrence) at: http://www.indianakofc.org/forms and click on Activity Form. Each council needs (4) qualifying activities in each category to satisfy the Pinta Award requirement. Remember to save these reports to use for the Columbian Award (Form SP-7). Remember, Building the Domestic Church program from Supreme is now a requirement for the Columbian Award and to achieve Star Council!
Please don’t hesitate to contact the Director’s or Chairmen if you need assistance in their area!
We are here to help you.
State Program Director
Indiana State Council
Four Pillars, One Mission!
THE INDIANA KNIGHTS!