Worthy Brother Knights,
I am honored to be a part of your State team in Indiana. We've recently had some very worthy Knights steering the Youth programs and I hope that I can keep things going as smoothly. Please bear with me in this transition period. I hope to talk to all the DD's in the near future as well as get to know as many of the Grand knights as possible.
If you haven't heard from me yet, expect a phone call in the immediate future, concerning the Soccer Challenge and coordinating the efforts of those who volunteered to host the District Level competitions. Remember, if you host a Challenge AND a District level Challenge – it WILL count as two youth activities!
Youth Protection Policy / Safe Environment Program
HAVE YOU COMPLETED THE SAFE ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS? Isn’t it worth just a few hours of your time in training to help keep a child from being scarred for LIFE! We can never do enough to protect children and young people in our care!
Supremes’ Safe Environment Program information can be found at http://www.kofc.org/un/en/membership/safe_environment/index.html
COUNCILS - Get the youth in your area involved in these great activities:
Supreme Council’s Youth Activities homepage - http://www.kofc.org/un/en/members/programs/youth-activities/index.html
Free Throw Contest- http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/youth-activities/free-throw-championship.html Councils should order their kit by November 1st to be ready to have the council level contest in January.
Substance Abuse Poster Contest (two divisions 8-11, 12-14) - http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/youth-activities/substance-abuse-awareness.html#/
- Councils should order their kit by September 1st
- Council level judging should be completed by the end of January.
- District level judging should be completed mid-February;
- District Winners are due to State Youth Director before February 28th for the State judging.
Catholic Citizenship Essay Contest - Essay Theme: The Importance of Religious Freedom (for grades 8 thru 12) - http://www.kofc.org/en/members/programs/youth-activities/essay-contest.html
- The Essay Contest council participation form (#4216) for the council level should be filled out and sent to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Services by January 30.
- Council judging should be completed by the end of January.
- District judging should be completed mid-February;
- District Winners are due to State Youth Director by February 28th for the State judging.
Scholarships - http://www.kofc.org/en/service/scholarships/index.html
- For the 2015-2016 academic year, the Knights of Columbus awarded 651 scholarships totaling more than $1.9 million
- Scholarship applications are available after Oct. 1.
- Deadline for completed applications for U.S. undergraduate students is March 1.
Indiana Outstanding Catholic Youth Award - http://indianakofc.org/download/forms/IN-OCY1.pdf
- Councils should be distributing form and info to prospects NOW and begin selection process in January.
- The Council, not the individual or parents, must submit this form for the youth to be eligible
STATE - YOUTH ACTIVITY REPORTS
Use the following link at our state website to submit all your youth activities online (Soon after occurrence) at: http://www.indianakofc.org/forms and click on the Online Activity Form. Each council needs (4) qualifying Youth activities to satisfy the Pinta Award requirement. Remember to save these reports to use for the Columbian Award (Form SP-7).
State Youth Director
Indiana Knights of Columbus